It's Not Always About You

by Kirk Harrington

Not long ago, I participated in trauma therapy.  It was called EMDR, which I have since learned stands for eye movement and desensitization processing.  Its prescribed to people who have gone through some kind of trauma.  I was a candidate because I discovered in therapy that I had gone through trauma as a child, through a bad breakup, through some loss of employment, and with some challenges in my marriage.

I remember holding these small devices in my hand while one or the other vibrated as I closed my eyes and the therapist spoke.  The therapist ask me to follow memory paths of the things that had bothered me most in my past...and to let the paths flow like water without restriction.  What I found doing this is that it let these thoughts flow and brought things to the surface that had been there for years.  And that once they were brought to the surface, I could process them.  I also remember actually feeling what I felt in those traumatic times...as if my body had recorded the memories in my muscles.

I learned, for example, that I was left in an orphanage when I was a child.  I was left there and I was confused.  And strangely, I had buried the feelings and experience of it because it was so painful.  I also learned that this was one of the main roots of my anxiety disorder.  Further I remembered actual images that I had kept locked away...like...

The women who watched over us (and the other children in the orphanage) had thick rimmed glasses and polyester dresses.  It was during the 70s.

I remembered the other children there and how most kept to themselves and that I felt more alone because of that.

I also remembered the loud thoughts of 'I must have done something wrong'...'I am here because I did something wrong'.  And I blamed myself for being abandoned and left in that orphanage...somehow I was not good enough for my parents because they left me there...alone.

And it was this that traumatized me so much.  This was one of the roots of my anxiety disorder that has stinted me for most of my life.  The same body memories I felt  in those moments...I had felt on countless occasions where I had to deal with some kind of situational anxiety in my life.  And while there was other trauma that happened later...this was a significant part of what followed later.

With this therapist...it actually felt like I was there and I was a little boy again.  It was quite surreal.  And it was in that moment of pain...when I could feel pain in my arms...like there was a hole in my chest...and I felt like my air was sucked from my lungs...feeling that trauma from so long ago...that my therapist said something like 'I want you to go to your younger self...what would you do or say to him to comfort him?'.

And of course I said that I would hug him and tell him it wasn't his fault.  That everything would be ok and he would be safe.  That he was safe now and allowed to be happy.

I also said to him...'Your Dad left you there so you could be safe...while you mother got well.  This had nothing to do with you.'

And I remember seeing in my mind my older self embracing my younger self...and it was as if a weight was lifted off my mind and heart...there was clarity...and I could embrace the light and the happiness around me in those moments.

As I played this out more...I remembered a kind woman I met when I first got there.  I remember she made me feel at ease.

I remembered eating at a table with other children.  And seeing them laugh and I would laugh too.

I remember hanging from some playground dome bars and thinking that my belly hanging out was silly.

It's so easy to blame ourselves for things that happen to us.  "I did something wrong".  "I must be here because I did something wrong".  The truth is though...

It's not always about you.

In my case, there were things that I didn't fully understand about why I was there...what happened that led me to experiencing that loss in my life...in my case of being separated from my parents.  It would have been nice if someone had explained it to me.  I wish they had.  I wish I could have gone back in time and yelled at my father to tell him 'YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME WHY!  I WAS ALONE AND SCARED AND YOU JUST LEFT ME THERE!  WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?!?!?!'.  

This was impossible though.  His choice to not tell me and comfort me before just dropping me off affected me.  And I couldn't blame my mother either...she was mentally ill and couldn't take care of herself.  And I was so young that I couldn't have fully comprehended the situation I was in.  Which leads me to another lesson I have had to learn from this experience...

That some choices people make can and will affect us more than others.  Especially big life changing ones.  It helps though to separate our choices from their choices.  And especially...we do not have to define our current happiness by the poor decisions of others.

Let me say that again...

We do not have to define our current happiness by the poor decisions of others.

Yes, we should learn to forgive others and especially ourselves...but we do not always have to accept what other do to us...and we can choose to live better.  We also try not to get into the trap of blaming and hurting others around us (the people that care about us) to try to soothe our own pain.  It's not fair to them...or you.

We can also choose to not blame ourselves...to claim safety now...and love ourselves now for who we are....despite of our current imperfections.  We do not have to play the victim...we do not have to prove anything to anyone.  Yes, what we went through was hard, and we are allowed to feel the pain and hurt of it as we need to.  We are also allowed to be happy in the 'now'.

Living in the 'now' can be so hard.  Especially when the pain of the past may keep us from seeing the light and happiness all around us.  We stay in the dark...in the pain...hesitating.  The 'now' though will always beckon us...call us...and invite us to be in its warmth and safety.  We just have to step towards it.  We may need the help and comfort of others at first...and should seek it.  We eventually find the strength ourselves...and come to feel that 'we don't need anybody, all we need is now' to get us there...we can step there, into the light, ourselves.  And there we will find the peace we so desperately we are looking for.

There's a Duran Duran song that speaks to this...it's called All You Need is Now.  Here are some excerpts from it...

It's all up to you now
Find yourself in the moment

When you move into the light
You're the greatest thing alive

And we will sway in the moon
The way we did
When we were younger
When we told everybody
All you need is now

You don't need anybody
All you need is now.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Focus on What You Can Do, and Think About What You Still Have if You Lose Everything

Life Stones for Grounding

Mom's Stories